Wax Resist acts to repels glaze from the surface to which it is applied. As the kiln is fired the wax dissipates, leaving the surface beneath as it was prior to firing. It can be applied to unglazed greenware or bisque or it can be applied over previously applied, unfired color. It can be applied with a brush, sponge or spattered. Each method allows the artist to expand the options in the decorating process.
- Apply one generous coat of Wax Resist. Even a thin coat will repel color. Once an area is coated with Wax Resist a second coat will not adhere to the previous one; it will bead up on the first coat.
- Once a coat of Wax Resist is applied it can only be removed by firing.
- When glaze or color is applied over Wax Resist with an underlying unfired glaze, any “beads” of color remaining on the wax need to be removed prior to firing. These can be removed by gently wiping or pouncing a clean, damp sponge over the waxed areas. Caution: any color left on the wax will adhere to the fired surface.
- A varied and dramatic effect in the fired finish can be achieved with a sea wool sponge.
- Mayco recommends the brush or sponge be preconditioned with AC-525 Brush Cleaner to allow easier clean up. Condition the brush by saturating the hairs. Then remove any excess Brush Cleaner before using the Wax Resist.
- If Wax Resist should dry in the brush it may be removed using mineral spirits.
- A different effect will result when the beads are allowed to remain during the firing. This option can be used to advantage with some techniques.
- During the firing process there is additional smoke that will be given off as the wax is burned off. Allow extra ventilation of the kiln during the early part of the firing to remove these fumes and gases.
- Remember that because the wax repels the color it can fall off the ware and could land on an adjacent piece. Allow extra room when loading the kiln.
- This product has a tendency to chip when trying to sgraffito through it.
- Wax Resist will only repel color during application. A glaze applied too heavily may run during the firing and Wax Resist will not keep it from moving onto an area.
- Dramatic Batik effects can be achieved by layering the Wax Resist between coats of color or simply by using Wax Resist as an aid to keep color off an area while painting.
Wax Resist (gallon)
- Brand: Mayco
- Item Code: MAYCO AC302-128
- Availability: 1